Healthy Snack Ideas
There are lots of healthy food choices that can be used as snack foods. People with diabetes may require snacks between meals and for supper. For specific advice, discuss this with your Doctor, Dietitian or Credentialled Diabetes Educator.
Here’s a list of our favourite healthy snacks.
- Select fruit that is in season (e.g. an apple, a banana, a peach, a pear, 3 apricots, 1/2 a cup of grapes, and 1 cup of strawberries).
- Frozen fruit
- Frozen fruit juice cubes
- 1 small serve of dried fruit
Salads & Vegetables
- Vegetable sticks (e.g. celery, carrot, capsicum, snow peas) with 1 tbsp low fat dip.
- Celery boats filled with 2 tbsp of cottage cheese and tomato
- 30 grams of mixed or unsalted nuts
- 1 slice of raisin toast or multigrain bread
- 1 tub of low-fat yoghurt
- 1 cup of low-fat custard
- 1/2 cup of high fibre breakfast cereal
- 1 cup or 250 mls of milk preferably Hi Low or soy milk or fruit smoothie
- 1 café latté
- 30 grams of salt reduced pretzels
- Wheat biscuits topped with cottage cheese, tomato and chives
- 1 cup of plain popcorn